Lagosians watch take pics as abandoned baby dies by roadside

According to a story that was published by PUNCH Nigeria today, a new born baby was abandoned by the roadside by the mother who is suspected to be mentally unstable. The baby was wrapped in a black sack and his mouth is alleged to have been covered with a plaster to make sure she did not make a lot of noise and attract people, or to make sure there was not enough possibilities for him to breath and make sure he died as quickly as possible. 

Whatever the reason may be, the most shocking part of the story was how Lagosians gathered, watched and snapped photos of the little one without making any attempt to save him until he died six hours later. According to Punch,  the baby was dumped by the roadside in the Abule Egba area of Lagos on Wednesday, January 28, 2015. Below is the story from Punch.

[box type=”note” ]Speaking with Punch, a trader, Mrs. Atanda Kuforiji, said they were taken aback by the sight of the abandoned baby. She added that a resident of the area drew the attention of other residents to the presence of the baby dumped by the roadside.

She explained that everybody went to the scene to see why the resident was shouting, only to be confronted by the sight of the new baby. She said, “The baby was wrapped in a sack and placed by the roadside. I saw a crowd gather and decided to have a look; the child was still alive. “People took pictures of the baby. His mouth was covered with a plaster to prevent him crying out. Everybody was saying what came into their heads, but nobody offered to help the baby.”

It was learnt that many of the dwellers in the area were too scared to pick the baby from where he was dumped. A driver, Mr. Lasisi Gafar, said since the incident, nobody had seen the unstable woman in the area.

He said, “There used to be a female lunatic around the street who was pregnant, but since the child had been dumped I have not seen any trace of her. We suspect that she was the one that dumped the baby here, but nobody could find her to question her.”

It was gathered that the baby later died after struggling to live for over six hours. A trader, who identified herself simply as Iya Monsura, said, “The child was alive as of 11am, but when government officials came around 5pm, he was dead. They took the dead body away.”

It was learnt that no efforts was made to report the case of dumped baby to the police. Some of the residents said such attempt could put them in trouble as the police might treat them as suspects.[/box]

Have Your Say