0c510567e8898be9fc23ec0f0d5863a3a132f704bd8bd8190d
Home >> General >> "Occupy Nigeria"- A Need to Manage Expection

"Occupy Nigeria"- A Need to Manage Expection

Occupy!!! An English word that means “to take and fill up” or “to take possession and control”, has been used to stare a movement to freedom. “Occupy” is an international protest movement which is primarily directed against economic and social inequality. The recent organised protest against the removal of fuel subsidy in Nigeria did not happen by accident. The Occupy protests had taken place in over 95 cities across 82 countries, and over 600 communities in the United States.

Occupy Nigeria - A Need to Manage Expection

The phrase “The 99%” is a political slogan used by protesters of the Occupy movement. It refers to the concentration of wealth among the top 1% of income earners compared to the other 99 percent. This has been the reality in the socio-political sphere in Nigeria and many African nations. The poor continues to suffer while the elites live in perpetual enjoyment.

Occupy Nigeria protest is currently having strong presence in the southwestern parts of the country, and many hope that this protest will subject the Nigerian government to revoke its decision on subsidy removal. However, Nigerians need to manage their expectations properly, and needs to define clear goals for the protest.

The Occupy movement  which started as an anarchist movement is horizontal and a leaderless movement, and there is a need to define what direction the protest is going with clear leadership; which will guide excesses that might occure during protest. This protest is meant to challenge the status quo of inequality and insincerity of the ruling class, so it should not create a greater challenge, or encourage a protest that will degenerate into a state of anarchy.

2 comments

  1. That was a first step. Things can only get better!

  2. Well, Nigerians were not successful with it in my opinion.

Have Your Say

x

Check Also

Day One: Africa Fashion Week London

Check out all the designers that showcased at Africa Fashion Week London this year and see all the latest ankara styles and African inspired designs you should be adding to your wardrobe.

Lagos Meets London: ONE LAGOS AT AFRICA FASHION WEEK LONDON 2016

Lagos Meets London as One Lagos partners with Africa Fashion Week London 2016 to bring Europe's biggest fashion event to guest and designers #AfricanFashion

Nigeria’s Bank of Industry At Africa Fashion Week London 2016

Nigeria's Bank of Industry (BOI) will be present at the Africa Fashion Week London 2016 that will be taking place on the 9th and 10th of September in Olympia.

Bestow Elan To Showcase Africa Fashion Week London 2016

Bestow Elan to showcase at Africa Fashion Week London 2016. The wife of the Nigerian vice president, Mrs Osinbajo will also be present at the two-day event.

%d bloggers like this: